A couple of newbie questions

green monster

New Member
I am pretty new to Broncos and this forum. I have some questions that I didn't find on the search feature. Well I have 1994 forrest green XLT with the 5.8 and 158,000 on her, ($3800 on Ebay!). I haven't aven driven her yet. She has been in storage till I get back to the states. ( iam in the Air Force in Germany and bought, shipped it to my parents house). I ahve done lots of research and started the mods already. Anyways I bought a TBS under the assumption it was a pretty good investment but know I am hearing some flak? Curious on this?
Well I am looking for some confirmation on my research and here are my questions:

1. If you have single exhaust go with 3 inch, dual 2.5 or 2.25

2. If i stroke the 5.8 to a 393 with the SD it will run lean. So I have to convert to MASS air or just rebuild the 5.8

3. Under drive pulleys will not effect the cooling or charging system.

4. Any quality headers have a good seal and produce about the same result. IE. Ford motor sport, Bassani, Gibson ect. I am leaning towrds FMS or Bassani.

The last part is what do you think is the best spark plugs and wires are for the Bronco? Or are they pretty good. I know MSDand Jacobs or good but I am just going for the lower cost till I do my engine rebuild.

And finally I hear the K&N is pretty good, however there site says about 5 hp gain. I have also read numerous articles stating they mostly suck hot air. So I think I am going to cut one or two sides of the box off, remove the restrictors and drop in a K&N filter. Iam also thinking about keeping the stock house leading to the fresh air for benifit. I have done something similar to my BMW and Honda with pretty good results, mainly in my Honda.....Any thoughts??!!!

Thanks for any help on this matter of rambling!!

Great site and hope to tsk to everyone later
 
Welcome to BroncoZone!!! Sounds like you got a great deal on a Bronco, and maybe I can help with a few items. First things first, concerning rebuilding the motor, stroker kit, etc. is do you really need to replace the motor? You may still have quite a few miles left on the 351W, unless there's signs of trouble, like blue or white smoke in the exhaust, heavy oil consumption, or any knocking noises. Since your 94 has a computer-controlled motor and transmission, any mods should be kept on the mild side to keep it running. A true dual exhaust is hard to install on a Bronco due to the transfer case location, so I would suggest a single 3" pipe with a Flowmaster 40 series. On the intake side, you can fabricate a free-flowing air intake with a K&N filter to gain a bit of power, but you will see more out of the exhaust work. Good luck with your project!!!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top