9inch In A 94

Spareparts

New Member
I have just put a 9 inch in my 94 Bronco and now the trans shifts hard a nd the speedo doesn't work. I not looking for speculation i need the correct answer. thanks
 
im assuming you have an e4od the reason you have no speedo is because the speed sensor was in you original rear end and the computer uses that sensor and many others to figure out which gear and when to shift you could try to take the speed sensor and the inner ring out of the 8.8 and putting it in your 9in other than that you'll have to put the old 8.8 in un less some one makes a kit for this i haven't seen one then again i haven't look either

good luck
 
Hey Spareparts! Welcome to the zone. When doing remote assistance, everything is speculation since we aren't on site to do real ananysis :unsure: . That being said, ditto on the above. The computer needs to know how fast the truck is moving. ;) .

Good luck,

:)>-
 
Hello thats is exactly whats wrong the computer doesnt know how fast your going . I wouldnt recomend driving it like that very far or youll be replacing that too . The only way I can think of fixing this is to use a speed sensor from an 87 to 91 or so it was plugged into the transfer case then the speedo cable went into the back of that . I had to use this on my 91 when i put a dana 60 full floater in the back and kept the E4OD but I am also using a Bauman engineering stand alone computer to control the tranny and it had the option in the software to use the rear speed sensor or the transfer case mounted one . Maybe the pulses from the sensor are different . If you do go for the option of using the T case sensor your T case doesnt have a hole for it so you would have to swap in a T case from a 1980 to 91 or so, so you have the speedo hole . Cheapest option would be to put an 8.8 back in it . Its almost as strong as a 9 inch anyway and I believe that the mods to the 9 inch housing to accept the speed sensor are going to be expensive also . Guess it just comes down to how much money you want to spend . :D
 
Hello was looking through the brand new petersons 4 wheel today and on page 119 theres an ad for a Ford VSS relocator ( vehicle speed sensor ) The guy is taking the rar yoke and machining gaps in it to fire the prox sensor and inclludes a bracket that bolts to the T case and mounts the sensor . The place is Curt LeDucs raceshop and the number is 1-909-845-8820 . No price but might be worth checking out if you dont want to use any of the other ideas this one will surely work and you can use whatever rear end you want and your tranny will shift right , the antilocks will work and everything else that relies on the VSS . Hope this helps :D
 
Look on the drivers side of you tranny to see if you have a plugged hole close to the tail shaft. if so, a C6 speed sensor may work. Not sure though. I will check at the shop tomorrow and let you know for sure. I do know I have an E4OD, and an AOD that both have the speed sensors in the tranny, but both have speedo cables. If I am not mistaken the VSS located in the differential use electronic speedos.
 
i'd like some more info on this. i have a 9inch i'd like to use in my 95 and the speedo is the only thing holding me up.
 
The other option is to install the sensor into the 9" ring gear. Not an easy process or one for the backtard mechanic. There may some info on fullsizebronco.com if you do a search, as this is a common problem. The 93-96 Broncos use speed density to calibrate the shift points. The sensor (VSS) replaces the old-style speedo cable.
 
Just to add what some of the others have touched on. . . I have just recently lowered my gears myself. I threw out the speed sensor, thinking it was just a ABS sensor. Big mistake. Anyways, the dealer ended up charging me $670 to put that damn speed sensor back on. They did do a good job and now everything runs great, but I did learn a very important lesson: When it comes to gears. . . leave it to the pros! ;)
 
I had put a 9 inch in my 94 Bronco and was having problems.Curt LeDuc from a company called California pre fun? sold me a new yoke that has has grooves machined in it and the speed sensor now relocated behind the transfer case reads that. The truck shifts fine the speedo works although a little slow and after months of no Bronco I'm back on the road. Dana 44 4.88's locker front 9 inch 4.88's locker rear, 8 inch suspension 38 SX's 15x12's. Looks great gets lots of looks and the kids love it.
 
Can someone please put some more info up on the Curt LeDuc vss relocator. I have a '94 Bronco on 37"s and just bought a Ford 9" and need this part real bad.

Anything will help. I tryed calling the number I found for this and the number is no longer in service. A price would be great and anything else. Thank you.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top