96, 5.8 Bronco - Mysterious Hole

  • Thread starter Thread starter jesusgikam
  • Start date Start date
J

jesusgikam

Guest
I recently bought a 96 Bronco, 5.8 from a friend. It has about 120k miles on it.

I noticed a small fluid drip in driveway, and crawled up under for a look. My mechanical knowledge is negligible, but I could see what I believe is the oil pan with a drain plug securely in place. However, close to it appears to be another housing of some kind. At the bottom of this one I found a threadless empty circular hole several inches in diameter. There is some oily fluid residue on the bottom of it, and a little inside the vacant hole. However, if there was any fluid in there, it is gone now. Can anyone tell me what this is? Is there suppossed to be some kind of cap or plug there?

My engine oil and all fluid levels are normal, and I have been driving the vehicle for a couple of weeks with no probs.

Helpful folks on another board have said that there is supposed to be a rubber plug or what qualifies as the torque converter inspection "plate".

However, I have been stumped in trying to find a replacement on the web, particulary because I have no actual idea what the part is called.



Thanks for any help you can give....
 
the hole is in the bell housing of the transmission it is for inspection purposes. it is suppose to have a rubber seal in it. check what color the fluid is. if it looks like oil it is the rear main seal of the engine leaking. do not know where to find a replacement plug but if i find one will let you know.
 
Thanks, that seems to be the general consensus about what it is, but my problem seems to be in locating one. There is definently oil leaking from somewhere, but I can't really tell if that's were it coming from or not. I really wish I could plug it somehow, clean up under there and then check for leaks.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top