93 Bronco 4 Wheel Drive Problem

Bronco Rob

New Member
I have a 1993 Bronco Eddie Bauer that i just bought a few months ago. We just got piled with snow earlier this week and i decided to try to shift it into 4 Wheel Drive. Being that i hate push button 4 Wheel Drive, i almost didn't buy it. But it's truly a cool truck.

Here is what it is doing. I push the button for four wheel drive, the battery voltage drops, like the solenoid is working, but it is not engaging. I have manual hubs on the front and they were engaged. I am assuming that the shift solenoid went bad. Does that sound good? I would appreciate any help, this is the first Ford i have owned. I am a Dodge fan, but i love my Bronco too.

It's a 1993 Ford Bronco, V8-351, 5.8 liter, 3 inch procomp lift with 32 inch tires. Dual exhaust that growls like a grizzly in heat. If you guys could help me i would appreciate it.
 
I have a 93 XLT, sorry to hear about your problem, I am just curious if you ever figured out what was wrong?
 
No, haven't figured it out yet. I am in Ohio, if the snow would stop for two or three seconds i might get to look at it. Unfortunately the guy that owned the Bronco originally was a HACK! BIGTIME! so it is going to take some time for me just to figure out what he did to the wiring system.

If ya figure anything out, let me know!
 
Damn computer, I just tried posting a reply and it crapped out on me. Anyways, I was saying that I thought it was a chain driven transfer case, and that it only received power when you push the magic button? Anyways, let me know, I think you were offering me some advice on my brake problem.... I appreicate it
 
No, it's not chain driven. Being the Eddie Bauer Edition, they had to make everything "elite". Which means the rich a**hole who originally buys it is to lazy to actually pull a stick to engage the four wheel drive. I prefer a manually shifting transfer case, like the one in my Dodge.

There is a little motor thats sole purpose in life is to engage the four wheel drive. It is using power when i hit the button, but i don't think its engaging it, either that or the transfer case is locked, which i hope it isn't.

I have another issue too. My dashboard mount is cracked, i jerry rigged it to get it to stop bouncing around, but i want to eventually replace it, do you know if the dash boards on these things are pieces or if it is one solid part. It's the black part that is broken and there are plastic covers all over it. I don't want to rip the entire dash out if i don't have to, and if i do, i may just stick with the jerry rigged way.

My garage isn't heated, and it just now finally go into the 50's here, so maybe i will explore it this weekend

:wacko:
 
I am not really sure about the dash, I would have to say that anything made post 80 would be all plastic. If I get a change later I will look through my Haynes manual, I need to read that damn thing again.....Yeah, the Eddie Bauer is nice until something goes tits up. I love my XLT with power windows until, wouldn't you know it, one of the gears or something stripped and the passenger side window slips down
 
The dashboards are made with a metal framework with the plastic mounted on it, lots of screws. If it is bouncing, did you check the dashboard braces to see that the blots were tight or missing. They are a metal hollow rod flattened at each end and bent inopposite directions. There should be one near the gas pedal and one on the passsenger side close to the glove compartment. Other attachment points are by the window on each side and in the middle, these are only accessable when the dash cap is removed.

Good luck,

:)>-
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top