91 Bronco 5.0

  • Thread starter Thread starter boodaddy
  • Start date Start date
B

boodaddy

Guest
Posted this in wrong forum I think.. My apologies to Admins....


This is my first post. Wanted to say I am very happy I found such a great forum.

Here's the problem I'm having with my starter motor. It's fine first thing when I start it up, fires right up like a champ!!! After driving for a while and I shut it off I go to restart it and it drags and sounds like the battery is dying. If I let it sit for about 10-15 mins it fires right up again with no problem. Starter motor seems to be getting real hot. replaced the starter with an OEM from ford thinking that this would solve my problem, but NOOOOOO still did it. Tried putting another OEM in and is still doing the same thing. Left me stranded a few times now when I really needed to be somewhere and didn't have 10-15 mins to waste waiting for it to cool down!!!!! Any suggestions as far as what I need to check/replace? Any one have a solution to my problem??? Also when I'm backing out of a space and cranck the steering wheel all the way the truck stalls. Is this related in some way? I'm at a loss here and hoping someone could help me out. Thanks in advance. Happy Turkeyday to everyone.....Boodaddy.
 
Wow I would guess the same thing as you did, starter drags after getting hot usually = bad starter........Hmmmm. You don't have a header pipe or anything like that running near to the starter to get it hot? My bro had an older F100 that would do that but not quite so severe & not that imediately. Well if there would be a way for you to get a starter draw test @ a shop when it does it, it would answer your drag prob. Make sure the cables are well connected especially the battery ground & of course the battery is good. Usually a no crank or slow crank prob is within the starting system (once u know the batt n cables n alt are ok). The only other thing is some performance problem with your engine & thats a long shot. Good Luck! ;)
 
Dragon. Thanks for the reply. Someone suggested that my timing may be too far advanced and causing this problem. Haven't had the timing worked on recently so I don't know if that could be it......Looking for any and all suggestions.... :wacko: This problem IS making my eyes roll in my head.....Boodaddy
 
The problem amy be in the starter solenoid on the fender next to the battery. I go through 2/3 of these a year. Also, closely inspect the battery cables. They may look fine on the outside but can rust underneath the rubber coating. Also ck the negative cable where it grounds to the frame. I would have the timing checked out, too. If it's too far off it will cause a hard start.
 
Thanks for the great suggestions. Going to replace battery cables with 2 gauge, get a new solenoid, and also buy one of those fancy schmancy Optima batteries. Used to have one in a CJ7 and it never let me down. Going to get the timing checked this week, got a mechanic friend thats real cheap....case of bud light...also going to do drop test. I'll post back and let you know what I found out. Thanks again for all the help....Boo's Daddy. [-o<
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top