89 Ford Bronco

  • Thread starter Thread starter roadog
  • Start date Start date
R

roadog

Guest
I washed it and went to take off and it just quit , it turns over but the fuel pump does not come on . I did pull the relay and hot wired the pump so i know its not that. I replaced the modual on the distributer. I put another computer in it. Checked all fuses and relays. I checked the fuel shut off switch. What the hell else is there?

302 EFI
 
the fuel pump might have taken a dump. that would be the first place to start looking.
 
Not that this could be it but I remember having a similar problem. I had a cherokee and It was lifted had 33's on it and I let a x-friend drive it. He assured me that he wouldnt break anything on it and wouldnt do anything stupid. WRONG! When I got it back it ran terrible. It just kept rolling over and not wanting to start. It turns out that my x-friend went and took it down our local highlines trail when the puddles were over my hood. It shorted out my throttle position sensor and stuffed mud and water nearly into my intake. Ohh and it burned 2 quarts of oil in the process. After nearly killing my x-friend I had the truck fixed and never let anyone else drive it again. Now this might not be your problem but hopefully you at least got a kick outa the story.

Good luck

Ohh and the throttle position sensor isnt cheap so I would suggest if you have the knowledge about EFI checking it somehow or having a mechanic diagnose the problem would be a good idea before buying the part

Saint351
 
YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THE FUSEABLE LINKS FOUND NEXT TO YOUR BATTERY.I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ONCE .CHECK THE THREE yellow WIRES THAT GO INTO ONE THAT RUN TO THE + SIDE OF STARTER SWITCH,THERE ARE THREE LINKS,.THESE WIRES RUN AROUND THE FRONT OF THE GRILL AND END UP CONTROLING YOUR FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM. HOPE THIS MAY HELP. BJ
 
If you washed it the distributor might be wet on the inside. You can dry it out or on the trails just add a spray of WD-40, it works pro. It could be that its not alowing the engine to start or even allow the fuel pump to get power so it doesn't flood out. Newer rigs have these safety components on them.
 
Just one other possibility. Have you checked the inertia switch? It is there to shut down the EFI fuel pump in case of an accident. It is a small black square shaped thing witha button sticking out of it. press the button in to reset. These have been known to just go bad and drive people nust troubleshooting the problem. If my memory serves me right it is under the dash on the passenger side.

Good luck :-B
 
That inertia switch on an 89 is above the pedals, inside, (on the drivers side, of course). You have to open the drivers door, kinda lay on the mat, and reach up and check to see if the switch has 'popped' to open the circuit - which kills the current to the fuel pump.

BTW...I use this switch to 'theft proof' my Bronco if leaving it by itself for any length of time - parking garage at airport, on the beach in Baja, etc. I just pop the switch up (off), and the fuel pump won't run! Most people wouldn't think of looking at this switch...
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top