89 f-150 fuel gauge at 1/4 when empty

RazorN8

New Member
I've always been a chevy guy, but I needed a truck and this one was cheep and driveable (or so I thought) I have been through all the steering cmponents and front axle u-joints and 1 fuel pump in the month that I have owned this pos. I don't know whether to be pissed at Ford or the crazy hillbilly that owned this thing before me. :mad: Anyway, my problem now is that the fuel guge will read 1/4 tank and the truck will start sputtering and die . I put gas in and it starts up again and runs fine till i get to 1/4 tank again. It does this with both tanks exactly the same way. Like I said, the rear tank has a new sender and pump in it. Where would be a good place to start looking for my problem? would it be a faulty ground?
Like I said, this is a seriously jerry rigged truck. There is house hold extension cord wire running through the das in places and some wierd radar scanner looking thing under the dash with a switch on it. I'll post pictures of that cause I'm curious what it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thus far, I have resorted to using mechanical gauges where possible because none of the gauges read correctly.
 
i would start with the wiring looking for a bad ground either at sending unit or maybe at fuel switch.
 
First, I would carry a spare fuel can with you. To me it sounds like it just may be a faulty or incorrect fuel sending unit(s). Are both jerry rigged? Are both connected? It sounds dumb but, because of the jerry rigging, if one is connected to the other and not independently.. hmmmm. Normally they have gannon (forgive the spelling) plugs to plug in OEM sending units.

GL
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top