88 5.0 Tfi Distributor Installation Problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter wwatsonh
  • Start date Start date
W

wwatsonh

Guest
I have an '88 with a 5.0, TFI-IV ignition system. I recently removed the distributor to change the ignition module. But I was really stoopid and didn't make all the proper marks b4 I took it apart. Now I have the new module, I'm getting spark, but the best I can get from the engine is a couple of pops. I read the Chilton's, Haynes, and factory manuals, but they all just say: make the reference marks (which I was too dumb to do) and then don't disturb the engine. Any help for a man who promises not to make the same mistake again? Here's what I've done so far....set the engine (using the mark on the harmonic balancer) to 0 degrees. Installed the dist so that the rotor is pointing as close as I can get it to the no. 1 tower on the dist cap. Cranked the engine over, moving the dist base a little at a time in hopes of finding the "sweet spot" where it will run. I also tried this at 10 degrees BTDC. Got a few backfires/pops with it set at 0 degrees, ran the battery down a few times. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
 
Pull the #1 sparkplug, put your finger in the hole, have a freind crank the motor, when it blows your finger out, this should be the compression stroke. Now set your timing marks to zero. With your rotor pointing, at the #1 spark plug wire position, your truck should start. If it doesn't your 180 degrees out.

Easier way, pull your left valve cover, make sure both intake and exhaust valves are closed. Now set your timing marks to zero, this should get you started.

This is only a suggestion, and your may have to pull your distributor to get the desired stock timing.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top