'80 Tailgate Window

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joe Dirt
  • Start date Start date
J

Joe Dirt

Guest
Ok My rear window works but does seem like it may be a bit tired. I have read every post on here....I think...I see alot of people with real good ideas on repairing these windows but is there any thing besides cleaning and lubricating the pivots on the arms that I can do to keep my glass going up and down. Basically preventive maint? I don't want to wait till it is broke.

This is against my true believes, "if it aint broke, don't screw with it"

Thanks,
Joe


@-)
 
Check the condition of the tailgate inner and outer weather strips (esp. the outer one). If they are getting cracked or dried out, or have dirt caking up on them, not only will that slow down the window but can also scratch it up. They are simple to replace if needed. Long time ago when I still had the hardtop, I would regularly spray WD-40 along the side tracks to keep them clean, too.
 
On a related note.
While you're in there looking if you notice any rust spots on the tailgate it wouldn't hurt to use something like Naval Jelly on it and resealing it to keep it from spreading. I've got to hit mine with some soon so I can keep it from rusting more until I can find a new gate.

Brad
 
Cool, thanks for the replies. My weather stripping is shot(the glass is already scratched) Now I need to find weatherstripping

Thanks!!!!!!
 
Oh one other thing I thought of. I had my whole bleedin gate apart today trying to fit a glass. Check the runners. Should be easy to look at. Mine had some tears in the material that pads the metal runner to make the window glide smoothly. If that happens it can bunch up and make your window hard to move.

Brad
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top