79 Lowboy steering with lift

Rickinbc

New Member
Hi, I am doing a ground up on a 79 F250 low boy 4x4. I re arched and added leafs to a Skyjacker 6" lift kid to be about an 8" lift. I bought the Skyjacker dropped pitman arm and the drop drag link. The components as you all know are for a 6" lift, I was able to get everything hooked up but it obviously is tight and borderline binding. I remember back in the early 80's there was a angled up steering arm, the piece with the 3 bolts into the steering axle tube. You know it's the arm the drag link hooks up too. Some even had a block you could put under this to "level out" the steering components. Sorry I don't know the name of the "steering axle tube" but thats all I could think of to call it, I think you get the picture. Does anyone know were to get this angled arm or one of those blocks?

By the way I was going to run 44's with a 3" body lift and once I got the front fenders on I realized that was a pipe dream. 40's will have to do or add another 4" of lift. Thanks for your help!

Rick in Vegas
 
Google Dana 44 steering spacer block and you should get plenty of results. 40's are a little heavy for a D44, if it ever gets off roaded in more then tread - deep mud. I've broken Ujoints (heavy duty spicers) with 35x12.5x16 MT's in mud holes. I'm running a 4" lift with a drop drag link. The drop drag link causes a LOT of bump steer (truck still goes straight, but the steering wheel turns every time I hit a decent bump). If you are going this tall, might be time to consider a crossover setup, and / or a Dana 60.

I'm running a '79 F250 Lowboy if that helps.

Hi, I am doing a ground up on a 79 F250 low boy 4x4. I re arched and added leafs to a Skyjacker 6" lift kid to be about an 8" lift. I bought the Skyjacker dropped pitman arm and the drop drag link. The components as you all know are for a 6" lift, I was able to get everything hooked up but it obviously is tight and borderline binding. I remember back in the early 80's there was a angled up steering arm, the piece with the 3 bolts into the steering axle tube. You know it's the arm the drag link hooks up too. Some even had a block you could put under this to "level out" the steering components. Sorry I don't know the name of the "steering axle tube" but thats all I could think of to call it, I think you get the picture. Does anyone know were to get this angled arm or one of those blocks?

By the way I was going to run 44's with a 3" body lift and once I got the front fenders on I realized that was a pipe dream. 40's will have to do or add another 4" of lift. Thanks for your help!

Rick in Vegas
 
I had some problems with my stirring to but it ended up the piece you are talking about was bent. however while I looked for the answer I noticed that one of my friends who has a Chevy with a 6" lift (I don't know what kind it is) and a 44 had a drop Pittman arm and the peace that the drag link bolts to was angled up about 3" and he had a strait drag link. Maby if you look at another lift manufacturer you can find that peace and all will be good:)
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top