'79 F250 Ignition Problem

pwiest

New Member
I have a '79 Ford F250 that I use primarily for plowing snow. It always starts up great, including now actually,however, but I have recently developed a problem of the engine dying after only 10-15 minutes of operation. When this occurs, I've checked for spark at the plugs and there is absolutely none. Zero. The truck will not start. If I try an hour or two later. Still nothing...nothing until a day later and the truck starts up easily on the first try. 10-15 minutes later, dead again. I always lose spark, but it always starts right up a day or several hours later. As always it will only run 10-15 minutes, then die. I first assumed the problem was the coil, so replaced it. Still the same problem exists. Next I replaced the ignition control module (brain box as some people call it) thinking this was the culprit. No. Didn't help. I'm thinking the only thing left to do is replace the distributor, but don't understand why this is happening only when the engine seems to be fully warmed up. Plug wires are good and everything visible inside the distributor looks fine. Appreciate any help or input I can get on this one.
 
I agree it sounds like a coil problem. I am not sure if your truck is equipped with a ignition resistor for your coil, if there is one then you might try and replace it. But i am putting my money on a bad ignition coil.
 
Inspect the 18 gauge wires leading into the connector for the distributor.
Sometimes from vibration they lose good contact.

Make sure all your primary ignition wires are clean and secure.
 
Inspect the 18 gauge wires leading into the connector for the distributor.
Sometimes from vibration they lose good contact.

Make sure all your primary ignition wires are clean and secure.

been through this numerous times...distrubutor plug is almost always the cause.
 
look under ur hood on the driver side ..........see that little sivler box on the fender that is fords biggest dissapointment of this model replace it for around 20.00 bucks and you will be set.....ignition module
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top