79' Bronco

  • Thread starter Thread starter tinman_775
  • Start date Start date
T

tinman_775

Guest
Does anyone know if the brake warning light switch on top of the brake proportioning valve is supposed to have brake fluid coming thru it. I have brake fluid leaking out of mine and I don't know if I need a new switch or if mine is just not connected right. If anyone knows please help!!!!
 
You should not have any brake fluid coming out of the switch. Are sure it's coming from the switch and not from a line that has rusted through, loose or cracked? Check your master cylinder as fluid will run down the line to the lowest point and "puddle". Investigate and locate true source of leak and fix or repair ASAP. I don't think you can replace just the switch if that is what is leaking. You will have to replace the proportioning valve, which will run you about $75.00 - $100.00. Make sure you bleed the system when you are done with the repairs to remove air that may have entered the system. ;)
 
I also guess that it's possible for a switch to rust at its threads over time, and yes you must replace the whole valve unless it's a leaky line. Start the truck (power brakes only) and have someone sit inside. Get a rag and wipe the fluid off totally. Then tell them to step the pedal down (make sure there's fluid in first) while you watch---- see for yourself where it's coming from. I hope it's just a line, for your wallets sake.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top