78 tranny Q

init2winit

New Member
This is my first post on this forum so sorry if this is a repeat Q.

I just picked up a 78 F150 302 with a three speed on the tree. I hate the three speed on the tree. Is it allot of work to convert it to 5 on the floor? Will the linkage match from a 5 speed say from a late 80's stang? What do you reccomend for my situation?

Justin
 
I'm not sure if the swap would be a straight swap, I know that the tranny should bolt up, I don't think that ford ever changed the bolt pattern there, but you would need to check the size of input shaft on both trannies to make sure they are the same. if they arn't any mechine shop could fix it for you. as far as bolting up the transfer case to the back, I know there are kits out there for that, I mean the tranny has been used in jeep wranglers for years. other than that, you would have to cut a whole in your floorboards, hopfully the linkage would be in the right spot, but you never know till you get it in there and see what happens. As far as allot of work it just depends on how lucky you get with all of this working in your favor, its definatly not a job for someone who isn't willing to take the time and spending the money to get it done, and dealing with all the problems that are going to happen. just a note, I would check with someone knowlegeable about trannies and gears, I mean, I think that the gears ratios in the mustang tranny are set apart in favor for getting down the track fast, and not pulling.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top