74 Auto Steering Collum

samo

New Member
I have rebuilt my collum recently and it seems fine although I have not been out on the road yet. After installing it I have noticed some loosening of the outer sleeve leaving a gap on the collum. I think this is just an appearence thing but can I thighten it up while on the vehicle?
Sorry guys I have a 74 under construction.
 
Can't you just loosen the column under the dash (and under the hood) and slide it up and down a bit to tighten the gap? Do that with the steering shaft connected to the steering box. I just recently installed a new Grant wheel (love it) and the directions pointed out that 'trick' for early Fords. I didn't have to do it because my gap was good, but it should work for you. Good luck.
Daran
 
Thanks Daran,
I tried loosening the bolts under the dash and they are as far forward as they can go.I think that if there was a way to loosen the clamp at the lower end of the shaft and move everything up it would help but things are too close and I am afraid of messing up.It works fine now but I dont like the look.I too installed a Grant wheel and like it alot.
Thanks Samo
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top