74 3 Speed 6cyl

  • Thread starter Thread starter jchris0
  • Start date Start date
J

jchris0

Guest
I have a 74 bronco, 200 6cyl, 3 speed. Engine is at high rpm driving 60 mph. Is there a quick fix, like rear end gearing change that is inexpensive, or is trans swap my only alternative?
 
Taller tires will help a little, I started there. You can get a 4sp. overdrive relatively cheap, plus about $400 to convert it to use your D-20 t-case. I ended up with a truck 4 sp. w/ overdrive and a NP205 t-case. It didn't cost much & should hold up to the 351 I'm swapping in. I started on this "journey" just to get overdrive in my '67 6-cylinder, but I didn't want to pay $400 for a new clutch on the 6 that I planned to change someday. It's gonna be around $1700 for the whole deal now. $200 for the tranny, $200 for a 205 t-case to fit it and about $50-$100 to fab a new crossmember. If I knew now...I'd probably convert the D-20.
Email [email protected] if you need any info on my swap.

Good luck.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top