68 Bronco

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Does anyone know the torc specs on the lower crank shaft bearings on a 302? I'm talking about the 8 bearings on the lower end (oil pan end) of the piston arm you can see when the oil pan is off. I think its like 15-20 lbs? These bearings are in two pieces wraping around the crank. Are any of them different when putting new ones in? I do know if I reuse them to put them back in exactly there they came from.

I'm loosing oil pressure. 30# at 2000+ RPM's, 20# at idle. What else can it be?

Eric
 
Rod bearing torque specs 19-24 ft/lbs
Main bearings are 60-70

What condition is your oil, what is the climate like where you live?
On a warm day here (70degrees) my 73 runs at ~40 psi at speed and about 30-35 at idle) How accurate is your oil pressure gauge?
You may have some wear in the oil pump.
This pic should help you determine where and how to check clearances.
To measure the end clearance, hold the cover half way across the pump and measure the clearance with your feeler gauge.
 

Attachments

  • oil_pump_specs.jpg
    oil_pump_specs.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 1
My oil is about 1 year old becasue I trailer the Bronco and it only gets trail use. So running all day 1 trip a month it can't be many miles. I'm thinking the gas washed out the oil and thinned it out with the truck driving off camber so much. Plus we have been getting hot weater early here in Washington State. Last run when I had the problem it was 80 deg. After working hard over some nasty terain all up hill for a mile the engine temp was at 220. Turned it off and it went up to 230. This happens on hot days all the time. I have a secondary fan so I can cycle the water thats getting cooled in the radiator to reduce the engine temp fast. My oil pressure gauge allways was good running between 45-55 # crusing and 40# at idle. So it dropped 10# or so. Looks like its time for some new 20/50!!! I hope!

Eric
 

Attachments

  • 68_Bronco.jpg
    68_Bronco.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 1

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top