66 Ready To Get 79 Power Train?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jmcallis
  • Start date Start date
J

jmcallis

Guest
OK, I have been thinking. I have a 66 with a tired 289 and the np435, rust free. How about using my rusty 79 that has a sound power train for a donar? The 79 will cost at least $1500 to take care of all the rust (need new tailgate, 2 rear quarter panels, rockers) Will the 351 fit for sure? Can I use the 79's T-18 4 spd and transfer case? Anyone running fullsized axles? Does the EB look dumb with the wide axles? I only have a Dana 30 up front on the 66. I imagine the 351 would beat the dana 30. Who has a conversion kit for this type of application?

Thanks Jason
 
Hi Jason,
The np435 is as good or better a trans than the t 18.
The Dana 20 transfer case will take loads of abuse, and it is half the size/ weight of the 205 in your 79.
The weak points of your Dana 30 are the axles and the drum brakes.
You can get aftermarket axles that are stronger, and you can add disc brakes to your existing diff (and save ~100lbs) or you can install a 44 from an EB, and upgrade it with stronger axles/disc brakes (if you are not lucky enough to find a later HD disc brake diff.)
You can use 4 3/4" back space on the wheels and most people wouldn't notice that you have F.S. axles under an EB.

As for the 351M... (and this is my opinion, for those of you with differing opinions, flame away at me if you feel you must...)

My god man.... don't do it!!

If you must add displacement, go with a 351 Windsor, much cheaper to build, easier to cool, and they just bolt in in place of the 289, no custom mounts or crossmembers.
 
Yeah, some good points, mostly about weight savings. I thought my engine in the 79 was a 351 W do you know how I can tell which is which. Is there any defining things to tell if I have the M or W engine?
 
The 205 is much stronger than the Dana20 T-case. I've seen a few Dana20's blow up with 33" tires under the rig. I run the NP435/205 in my 68 Bronco with 38.5" tires and 5:89 gears/ lockers with no problems. All you have to do is make a custom cross brace and run the exhaust to a Y pipe since the 205 is so large you can run dual pipes down the frame rails. The dana20 has a lower low range than the 205 but its not a problem with the granny low in the 435. Here's a photo of my exhaust and the 435/205.
 

Attachments

  • Cross_Brace2.jpg
    Cross_Brace2.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 2

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top