4X4 conversion

935.0

New Member
My friend has a 82 f100 2WD we are going to convert it to 4wd. a know i need a transfer case i was wondering if we should use TTB or find a solid axle. which do you think would be easier/better in the long run, also cost is a major factor. I personally think solid axle would be?
 
The front Set up out of a 4x4 F150 is a bolt in . Where the solid require some engineering to say the least .

If get donor truck for front suspension . And swap axles. spring buckets ,rad arms and mounts / It will bolt right to your crossmember. I have had the axle installed ready in a weekend which included new ujiont bushings. And did the tranfers and rear swap to 3" 4x4 leaf the next . And drove in between .

But The solid is cool I have the fronts laying out back .In case I decide to do it myself .
 
The front Set up out of a 4x4 F150 is a bolt in . Where the solid require some engineering to say the least .

If get donor truck for front suspension . And swap axles. spring buckets ,rad arms and mounts / It will bolt right to your crossmember. I have had the axle installed ready in a weekend which included new ujiont bushings. And did the tranfers and rear swap to 3" 4x4 leaf the next . And drove in between .

But The solid is cool I have the fronts laying out back .In case I decide to do it myself .

what would be the best way to check the axle and the transfer case for internal damage? also its a 300CID with a stock three speed manual what do you think the best ring and pinon ratio would be for the front and rear?
 
The 300-6 came with 3:08 rears allot here in 4x4. We usually get 3:55's and put in them for the 4 spd and 5 spd. Never played with 3 spd.


Pull center section diff and look I guess see how it spins in housing. Its ussally the transfer case that get hit when drivshaft comes back . Only real way is to separate it and inspect.

Good luck

Hope you find a donor truck to make your life easy. will get matched front and rears springs etc.
 
the matching springs aren't a problem its basically how the solid axle mounts to a truck with twin i beam, which is where the donor truck comes in. or should we just go with a ttb setup to make it easier. i was thinking solid for the long run would be easier or am i wrong?
 
the hard part about doing a solid axle swap is switching to leaf springs, using a solid axle with coils is just way too dangerous and unstable, and unsecured.

Soo with that being said, to do the solid axle you have to get leaf springs, and weld or bolt on mounts for leaf spring mounts / shackles. and have it set up so that nothing will bind or over stress other parts. if you can find an f250 or f 350 with the solid axle and use its parts and use it as a template to setup your front suspension.

also depending on how cheap you can get your parts.....Buy a 4x4 its cheaper.
 
The solid axle is done allot . On highway And offroad tested .But not a Bolt in. You will need whole front asembly rad arms.

Hey Check our sister site Bronco . They have a write up in there I believe.

I use stock parts from several Ford products on last one I did .
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top