4spd grinding gears

matpasch

New Member
I just purchased a 2 wheel drive 1980 Custom Ford F250 with the 300 inline six and a 4spd. The 4spd is a New Process 435 (according to my vin number with Dana 0/61 rear with 3.54 gears.

The Transmission was rebuilt and clutch replaced approx a year ago. When I try and down shift from 3rd to 2nd the shifter just grinds and bounces off the gears. This aso happens if I'm rolling, around a corner or whatever, in neutral and than I try to go into 2nd, with out stopping- it will useally go into 2nd but with a big clunk of gear sound.

My clutch and trans seems fine in all other gears, any ideas what I should try???

Clutch adjustment??

thanks

mat

Also would the dana 60\61's ((Axle code "37" in a 1980 vin decoder)) have possibly come with some sort of locker, in the snow I seem to get them both spinning together??????
 
I slowed the idle down on the carb, and I think I've fixed the problem...I don't have a tach, but knocked it down about half a turn on idle speed and seems to have stopped, just revving a bit too high to slip down into second. Or carb slow response time to dumping down the idle speed quick enough. The big one barrels probably pretty slow to close. I want to go eentually with an Offenhauser Dp, and EFI manifolds and a Holley390, and 2100 or 2150>>>
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top