400 Ford Buildup

  • Thread starter Thread starter rlnbreloder
  • Start date Start date
R

rlnbreloder

Guest
I'm in the middle of rebuilding my 400 for my 79 Bronc and I've already had the machine work done..the crank is back in and I'm in the process of installing the Badger pistons as well. According to Badger, I'll be running around 9.9:1 compression with the heads I'm using. I plan on using an Edelbrock Performer 400 intake, Summit racing headers, accell coil and an Edelbrock 650 carb. I know the intake has a range of idle to 5500 RPM, but I can't find a cam that "exactly" matches that profile...I've had the heads ported and polished, so it should rev nicely, but I'm also keeping in mind that the 400 has the longest stroke of any Ford motor ever made....Could anyone recommend a good, strong cam they've used in the past?
Thanks :D
 
Since you are using a summit intake,heads, and headers I would call summit and ask them what they would recommend.
 
On my first 400 build I used a Crane cam part#523901.It had 204 degree's duration at .050 on the intake side and 216 degree's on the exhaust.The lift was .493 on the intake and .524 on the exhaust.My compression was 8.4 to 1,the truck had good lowend torque,but like everything else I wanted more,so I built another motor and went alot more radical with one.On a cam pick one that has more lift and duration on the exhaust side than the intake,these motors need to breathe and more life and duration on the exhaust side will help out alot.
 
whatever u do DO NOTtake summit's word for it. every time i call i get a diffnt story, and usually none of it is right they're salesman, not mechanics, actually i'd be suprised if any of them knew how to use a wrench, let alone drive a bronco
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top