4 Wheel Drive Issue

sksmith

New Member
Hello all!
I am new to the F-zone. I have a question of what I can't quite diagnose. I have a 1993 F-250 with a 7.3L Diesel, Manual Trans with Auto Locking 4 Wheel Drive. When ever I use the 4 Wheel Drive I hear a heavy growl from the front end. I get clunks and bumps in reverse, and sporadically when I am driving. I recently replaced the Upper and Lower Ball Joints, All front end U-Joints and My front shocks. I also replaced the front Tie Rods (outer) on both sides. I am the second owner of this truck and Love it!!! Unfortunately I have spent at least 3 times the amount on repairing the items the previous user had neglected. Today I was in my parents driveway and all I heard was a grinding up front. I shifted in and out of 4 High a few times before I could go anywhere. Their driveway this time of year in Central New York is usually snow and ice covered, so unless you have 4 wheel drive or an all wheel drive vehicle you will likely get stuck. I am prepared to hear that I may have to replace the Gear Ring and Pinion, but what else should I consider replacing??? Any thoughts would be helpful.
Sam
 
Welcome!!! One or both of your auto-locking front hubs has either gone bad, or the grease has hardened up due to the cold/ neglect (from the prev owner). You ca nremove the end cap and check the condition of the grease while looking for any broken pieces. A good repair/ upgrade is to convert to the more dependable manual-locking hubs. JSM84
 
Welcome!!! One or both of your auto-locking front hubs has either gone bad, or the grease has hardened up due to the cold/ neglect (from the prev owner). You ca nremove the end cap and check the condition of the grease while looking for any broken pieces. A good repair/ upgrade is to convert to the more dependable manual-locking hubs. JSM84

I put my truck up on the lift at work on Sunday. Put it in 4 Wheel. The Axles were all turning, but the front wheels were not. Grinding was coming from the hubs!!! Diff was full and looked good. I ordered the Warn Manual Locking Hubs, and they arrived last night. Gonna put 'em in today!!! Thanx!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top