351w To 351ho

  • Thread starter Thread starter 3youngns
  • Start date Start date
3

3youngns

Guest
I have a 89 w/ a 351W. With the help of some of you I have diagnosed that I have a main bearing about to go out. I figure the best way to go is to swap motors. What is involved with going to a 351HO. I dont see where there would be much difference from the outside. Is this a better motor? More power? Direct swap?

At the time of the swap, what upgrades would you recomend? Other than Blowers, Super Chargers, Nitrous. I still want a dependable truck.

Thanks for your input.

Chris
 
The last time the Ho was offered was 1987 which was 210 HP. From 88 - 95 the MPFI 210 version of the engine was offered and in 96 it was 205 HP. The HO is a carbed 4bbl and as such you would have to change the computer and do some wiring changes. I would stick to the MPFI engine just because of the conversion headaches. You could get a long or short block to swap your stuff to and be better off than getting someones used 351 HO.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
I went from a fuel injected mess (thanks do it yourselfer previous owner) to a carb with a slosh kit in about 4 hours... I have a sheet with the setup I used if anyone wants it. Parts list also. It includes getting a duraspark II ignition sytem,. It wasn't hard to convert at all.. the only downfall is having to fab your own bracket for the trannycable, if its the aod... It started up on the first lick and has been running like a champ since. I'll have conversion pics posted as soon as I convince the camera to upload to the pc...
 
Thanks for the info Seabronc. I thought there was a difference in the block or heads. Sounds like its all in the carbuerator.

I would like to see the pics Lou. I think the ignition will be the only major upgrade I do right now.

Thanks Again
Chris
 
I am severely depressed over some of those horsepower readings....
 
it's lowend torque that gets you thru the mud, BN. Aftwr all, when wa the last time the Bronco was at 3000RPM'S?? While the Highoutput (H.O.) motors were the 'thing' at the time, the mpfi and heads+cam of the 87-up Broncos were similar. Even the 302 is failrly close in HP but lower in torque.

A better option is a stroker motor, or at least some head porting, cam and intake matching and a good exhaust system. I would keep the fuel injection if I had it already.
 
If you are going to go to a carbed engine, you can use the Duraspark II ignition. I does not require a computer, just the ignition module on the driverside, a wire harness. I presume tht engine you are getting already has the ignition coil and and distributor with a pickup. Is it possible to get the harness and ignition module from the guy you are getting the engine from? Get rid of the 4180 carb and put something else on like a 4160 or Edlebroc 1403. I'm pleased with the 4160 but it took a little patience to get the automatic choke adjusted where it worked well under all startup and run conditions.

I happen to be a carbed biggot as you can see by my signiture data.

Good luck on which ever way you go.

:)>-
 
it's lowend torque that gets you thru the mud, BN.

True.. but being an old hot rodder, I like to see the HP and torque curve at least very close to each other :)
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top