351 Modified Problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter derby_dude_2004
  • Start date Start date
D

derby_dude_2004

Guest
I just recently purchased a 1979 ford 351 modified motor, I stripped it down to the block, and then put it all back together again. When I went to put the rocker arms, and push rods all back together again, they were real loose & sloppy, so I replaced the hydraulic lifters, now the rocker arms and push rods are even more loose than what they were, I NEED HELP IN FIGURING THIS PROBLEM OUT
 
First, it sounds like your lifters have no oil in them so you need to soak them in some oil first before you install them. Once you install them, pour more oil in on the, take a push rod and pump the lifter to get the oil inside the lifter. You should feel the lifter fill with oil and get stiff.

Next, the push rods and rocker arms, fulcrum seat oil deflector and bolt must be installed and tightend in a certain order as follows;

Postion the No. 1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke and tighten the following valves:
#1 intake and #1 exhaust
#4 intake and #3 exhaust
#8 intake and #7 exhaust

Rotate crankshaft 189 degrees and tightend the follow valves:
#3 intake and #2 exhaust
#7 intake and #6 exhaust

Rotate crankshaft 270 degrees and tighten the follow valves:
#2 intake and #4 exhaust
#5 intake and #5 exhaust
#6 intake and #8 exhaust

Make sure you put some white lithium grease on the tips of the rocker arms and valve stems to lube everything untill the oil pressure comes up when you start the engine. If possible, pre-lube the engine by turning the oil pump with and electric drill and pre-oil shaft (most auto parts stores will have them-about $10.00). Run drill till you see oil flow at tops of push rods. Remember, oil the piss out of everything, too much is good, too little can really cramp your day.
 
don't run new lifters on an old cam and don't run a new cam on new lfters,when you run your motor at about 2500rpm to break in a new cam every lifter and lobe of the cam is wearing itself a match.
I know it'll work if you do but why half a** it when a new cam and lifters aren't much?
are your heads milled?it would be a good idea to take them and the intake and get them milled to raise the comp ratio of the motor some.
you would not believe the increase in power with 9.0-9.5 compresiion and a good cam will do for those motors.
if you are gonna spend anymore than a few $100,buy a 400,429,460
I hate to say it but 351m's are good anchors.parts are hard to come buy and expensive.
personally i suggest a 351w.
good luck
 
Most lifter manufacturers say do not soak them in oil,and do not attempt to pump them up,they should be lubed with cam assembly lube and installed.As for the rocker arms I never turned a 351M over while setting the rockers,I just put them on and torque each 1 down to 24ft lbs.
I do strongly recomend the drill on the oil pump trick especially with a fresh engine.Put a mechanical gauge on it you should be at least have 40psi.
I've done this to many 351M engines and never had a problem.The key is to pre prime it with the drill.
 

Attachments

  • TheRocket.jpg
    TheRocket.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 52
The previous pic I posted was a 79 Bronco chassis with a ranger body.It has a built 400 that I personally keep in tune,and it usually finish's in the top 2.I have had the top end apart a few times,and done things te way I explained.


Bill
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top