302?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alech1979
  • Start date Start date
A

Alech1979

Guest
I got some questions, I'm planning on buying this 73 bronco from this guy. It has the standard 302 motor. I have absolutely no idea on working on trucks at all but am willing to learn by working on this one. The problem I have is that I searched the web and I hear that the 302 is not a great motor to have when your mudding because of torque issues at low rpms. I see that you can get a 302 to around 300 to 400 hp with a lot of torque at the top of the powerband but I'm worried about torque for towing and yanking people out. I'm not looking to make it go 200mph I want the muscle. I'm willing to put in serious cash and time into this bronco to turn it into a mudding machine, I just want to make sure when I get into trouble I have the power to pull myself or others out of mud pits. I dont know if I'm misinformed or what? Any comments or suggestions about the 302, mods, whatever would sure be appreciated for a newcomer who's going to be in over his head!.
 
I think that the 302 has plenty of power. There is alot of aftermarcket items you can get to improve it. The best thing you could do to compensate for low torque problems is to change the gear ratio in the front and rearend.
 
The 302 should have plenty of power for your truck. Like 4xfan said gearing will resolve the low end torque problem.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
There is only a small hp difference between a 302 and a 351 and I have a 302 and I have plenty of power for what i do..plenty of get up and go and I can definatly pull..keep the 302..but a 72' might need a rebuild..it all depends
 
302 is strong enough to pull a dodge grand caravanin park with relative ease WHOOPS! supercharge it if you really want to have a lot of torque
 
My 302 .030 over (mostly stock) works well at the low end due to the 5:89 gears. No hesitation at low RPM's at all. I can smoke the 38.5" Swamper SX tires on dry pavement!

Its always the gears, people put on larger tires and expect to keep the power and lose the low end torque. I always figure 4:10 gears for stock tires, 4:56 for 33's, 4:88 for 35-36's. Anything larger than 36's should be up in the 5's. Unless its a freeway queen then you might want a higher ratio and take it in the shorts...
 
I had a worn out 302 in my 72. 4barrel carb and headers were about the only upgrade. It did fine even with the 3.50 gears and 35" Ground Hawgs, it didn't like it but it wasn't the motor running out of power. Gears are everything. If you are looking for low end torque, run a 2 barrel carb. I run with a guy that has 39.5's swampers and a 302/2barrel in his Jeep. That is the only Jeep I would ever own. I have rarely seen him stuck and he usually serves as tow rig at the annual mud fest.

Later,
Jeff
 
so by changing the gears, I solve the torque problem; but what do I sacrifice? I always felt that you never get something for nothing. Billy you said changing to a 2 barrel carb would help, would a four be better or would I only be stopping at every other gas station?

P.S. thanks guys for all the info it's really helping me get a mental picture of my new hobby!

Plus, the toy has 3 on the tree. Is it easy to convert it to the floor so it sits next to the transfer case shifter?
 
You can get the kit and install it in a day easy. The bad thing is in 2nd gear the shifter is right up next to your leg. The fix is to get a NP435 for the granny low and strength and don't have the shifter problem. They are cheap and very strong. Get the adapter to the Dana20 t-case from Advanced Adapters and your done. Or get the combo NP435/NP205 out of a 79 Bronco and build a custom cross brace, re-route the exhaust and maybe new drivelines if needed.
 
I would like to add that you need to build it for YOUR specific purpose. Whether you are building for mud, rocks, daily driver or whatever, it needs to suit your specific purpose. Do research before you buy anything for it and decide what you are building it for because every application is different! It may sound strange but it will help you and keep you from spending money on upgrades that you really don't need. If you are building a daily driver and you buy a set of Ground Hawgs, you aren't going to be happy!
Your first step should be determining what you are going to use it for and going from there.
Think about it!

Later,
Jeff
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top