302 Efi Rebuild

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deep
  • Start date Start date
D

Deep

Guest
Hello everyone...I am getting ready to pull the engine 302 from an 1987 Eddie Bauer Edition Bronco and rebuild it.

I was considering putting 351 Windsor heads on the 302 and also putting a RV cam in during the rebuild.

Have any of you heard of this combination and does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
 
Yes, and go for it!!! You will need 351W head gaskets, keep your old 302 gaskets though, because you will need to place them over the 351W gaskets, and drill 2 steam holes in each. Use the 351W intake side gaskets, the ports are bigger. you may want to open up you lower intake to match the 351W ports. Lastly you may want to order the shoulder bolts for this swap, FORD as well as ARP carry these. They have a 1/2" shoulder with the 7/16" thread, and assure proper alignment.
 
Better yet if you can find heads from a fuel injected 5.0 HO which was used in the mustang and the lincoln sport mark 7 sport coup youll have a way better set of heads and the holes will be the corect size . The combustion chamber on these is shaped like a heart and is a smaller chamber which bumps the compression up a bit . Youll see a big difference Also if your goona build the whole motor use these heads on a 351W . Motor isnt physically much larger and will bolt right in place of the 302 . And youll just have to drill the head bolt holes from 7/16 to 1/2 and youll be all set . Also the comp cams extreme 4x4 cam is a very good cam . Had this combo in a bronco 2 and it would pick front tires off the ground . :D
 
I have an 88 302 and I'm looking into rebuilding also. Will this pass smog?
 
If you reconnect the pump, and hoses to the rear of the head.

I lived in Nashville,TN for a while, and I couldn't get my '79 sticker because it came with a 302, and I swapped in a 351W, even though it passed smog. So check local laws before swapping entire engines.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top