2h transfercase shifter position

shadetreemech

New Member
How's everyone doing, I'm a new member and getting a bit of "baptism by fire" truck repair currently so forgive me for any foolish statements. I have a beater 77 250, 4X4, 400 at which I've had since May, and am just trying to make it a solid daily driver...trying being the key word(3g's later). Anyway for my first of many to come posts is this. My shifter is not marked and every pro mech. Ive talked to has told me differently what order 2h,n,4h,4l. It seems 2h is all the way back, up one, but again i'm not sure. Live in the city so I can't really test it well while driving. Any help would be much appreciated
 
How's everyone doing, I'm a new member and getting a bit of "baptism by fire" truck repair currently so forgive me for any foolish statements. I have a beater 77 250, 4X4, 400 at which I've had since May, and am just trying to make it a solid daily driver...trying being the key word(3g's later). Anyway for my first of many to come posts is this. My shifter is not marked and every pro mech. Ive talked to has told me differently what order 2h,n,4h,4l. It seems 2h is all the way back, up one, but again i'm not sure. Live in the city so I can't really test it well while driving. Any help would be much appreciated
All the way back an up 1 if it a 205, if its a 203 doent matter just make sure you are in high range 203 is a full time transfercase. any other case dont know I keep 205s in stock if it doent have a 205 it gets one before I run the truck.
 
How's everyone doing, I'm a new member and getting a bit of "baptism by fire" truck repair currently so forgive me for any foolish statements. I have a beater 77 250, 4X4, 400 at which I've had since May, and am just trying to make it a solid daily driver...trying being the key word(3g's later). Anyway for my first of many to come posts is this. My shifter is not marked and every pro mech. Ive talked to has told me differently what order 2h,n,4h,4l. It seems 2h is all the way back, up one, but again i'm not sure. Live in the city so I can't really test it well while driving. Any help would be much appreciated


Hi im Mike
I have a 77 with a 400 but mine is a 150 and it's setup is 4L is all the way front then N,2H & 4H but you can test it. When it's 4L you will know cause when you hit the gas it will jump with a quick response an when the shifter is in N you know it wont go any where the for 2H find some stones were your tires will spin easly and once you've got that you'll know were 4H is.
 
The easy way to ID any shift problem is to securely set the truck in the air on 4 heavy duty jackstands (give it a couple of football tackleing shoves around to be sure its on the stands very good) and using your brakes between gear engagements you'll easily be able to tell the difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive settings (2 or 4 wheels will spin). For the high and lows - just watch your wheel acceleration from a stop in each. You may be able to see the difference.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top