1990 351 Rear Main Seal Leak

  • Thread starter Thread starter pookiemonster
  • Start date Start date
P

pookiemonster

Guest
Hi all!!
I have a 1990 Eddie Bauer Edition 351 M that i need help on. I noticed oil leaking out of the rear main seal, and was wondering wether i have to pull the engine out. I also have leaks all over the valves, and am not sure if that is the problem. A few weeks ago, my engine ran hot, and I noticed that my coolant wasn't going through, so after checking everything else, I realized it must be my heater hose and unplugged it until I was able to fix it. That works now, but am wondering if that could have something to do with my new problem. Please help. Thank you in advance.
 
First, If it's a '90 it's a 351W not M . No you dont have to pull the engine to replace the rear main seal, but you will need to drop the tranny. The seal is a one piece unit, and requires a special driver to install. AUTOZONE, or ADVANCE will let you borrow one for a small deposit.

You engine shouldn't run hot because of a clogged heater hose, your water pump has a bypass hose, and many of the Broncs have a vacuume operated valve that actually blocks water passage through the heater core. I would check the thermostat if your water is not circulating through the radiator.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top