1989 Bronco Ii Flodding When Warm

  • Thread starter Thread starter tsettergren
  • Start date Start date
T

tsettergren

Guest
1989 Bronco II, 2.9, 4X4, Automatic Trans

I need some help diagnosing this problem. My truck will start just fine when its cold and has been sitting for several hours. However, once it is warmed up and truned off and left to sit for about 5 minutes it takes about 10 seconds of cranking on the starter to get it to fire. Then it misses for about 30 seconds to a minute before the engine idle gets back to normal. I can smell gasoline coming from the exhaust. It seems like it is getting flooded somehow.

Can anyone help me with this problem?
 
OK, I got the error code 41 from memory during my EEC-IV test. This error code is for "no HEGO switch detected". Does this mean that I have a bad sensor? I am not sure what this is saying.

If I have a bad HO2S, is this the oxygen sensor in the exhaust system, or is it some other component?
 
since the code thrown was for O2 sencor thats what i'd swap. (in fullsizes) they where found in either the pass. side exhaust manifold or the Y-pipe. they ain't hard to locate just look for a plug in the places i list and near the cat's. it'll be the only sencor found in the exhaust
 
I have replaced my O2 sensor and I am still having the same problem. What else will cause the fuel system to deliver too much gas when the engine is warm and it has been sitting turned off for about 5-10 minutes? Where is the heat sensor mentioned earlier, or what is the name of the component? I think I may need to look at this next. It seems to be engine temperature dependent.
 
It was the fuel pressure regulator. It was leaking gasoline into the intake and wetting the spark plugs so it would be flooded when I go to start it shortly after shutting it down. Replaced that and now it runs like a top.

Thanks for all the help!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top