1984 Ford F150 I6 to V8 conversion

thawymster

New Member
I am about to drop a 302 from a '96 mustang into my '84 F150. I am trying to find out if it will bolt up to my transmission. The trans is a 3 speed w/ overdrive manual on the floor. What do I need to do to find out if the trans will bolt up without pulling the motor/trans combo and trying it? My truck has the dual tanks also; is there anything I would need to do special to hook it up to the engine? I am putting an Edelbrock intake on it w/ a holley 2bbl carb....if possible and if I can find an intake.
 
I am about to drop a 302 from a '96 mustang into my '84 F150. I am trying to find out if it will bolt up to my transmission. The trans is a 3 speed w/ overdrive manual on the floor. What do I need to do to find out if the trans will bolt up without pulling the motor/trans combo and trying it? My truck has the dual tanks also; is there anything I would need to do special to hook it up to the engine? I am putting an Edelbrock intake on it w/ a holley 2bbl carb....if possible and if I can find an intake.

I also would like to change the 302 cam to a 351 cam....is that possible?
 
I am about to drop a 302 from a '96 mustang into my '84 F150. I am trying to find out if it will bolt up to my transmission. The trans is a 3 speed w/ overdrive manual on the floor. What do I need to do to find out if the trans will bolt up without pulling the motor/trans combo and trying it? My truck has the dual tanks also; is there anything I would need to do special to hook it up to the engine? I am putting an Edelbrock intake on it w/ a holley 2bbl carb....if possible and if I can find an intake.
the bellhousing is the same bolt pattern . it will bolt right up.
 
If you put in a cam with a different firing order and didn't swap in a matching crank wouldn't it run like $#!t ?
Nope that is all a HO 302 is just have to change firing order. It is a nice swap for fuel mileage but the 300 has more torque and belive it or not has an actual bigger displacement. If your looking to play with the truck I suggest a 4 barrel and intake on the 300 but that is just my tastes
 
i did the swap on an 81 from a i6 to a 351 and the i6 felt like it had more torque to me too. but the 351 feels like i defenatly has more ponies, if that makes any sense. the only things i had to change was the raidiator and the motor mount towers, and if i remember right the i6 had a slightly smaller clutch, not sure on that though cant remember.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top