TennesseeOutlaw67
New Member
I have a 1983 F-100. Current motor is a 3.8L 232 V-6. Had the head blow on me a week or so ago. Not sure yet exactly how much damage was done to bottom half. Motor is a Jasper replacement which was installed back in 2002. Figured I'd be better off to replace the whole thing due to the age, since I've only had the truck for the last 18 months. Been on here pricing a re-manufactured 232 motor and best price I could locate seemed to be around the $1200-$1400 range. Also noticed I could pick up a 302 motor for roughly the same price. I had considered looking into changing the truck over to a 302 before, due to wanting to have towing power for a camper later on. Question is how difficult would this actually be? I know I'll have to buy the new add-ons since the stuff from my 232 wouldn't work. But what about hooking up to the wire harness, transmission (think I'll be ok providing I've got a C4) and such. Should I stay with a carburator or not? Is there any place to get reference material on a swap like this? Any assistance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Thanks.
Dwayne
Chattanooga, TN
Dwayne
Chattanooga, TN