1979 F150 V6 TO V8 conversion

j_wiles

New Member
Hello all! I am the proud new owner of a 1979 ford f150. The truck has a straight six with three on the colum. So basically my straight six is dog tired and i was calling aroung to see what a new motor would run me, what i found out was a 302 would only be a few hundred more bucks than the straight six. What i really wanted to know is if i purchased a crate motor from Kragens of the same year could i bolt the new motor up to my old tranny. I really like my three on the colum and i know i would have to change the front suspension, radiator, and add new motor mounts. But does anyone one know if i will be able to keep my old tranny? Thx a bunch
 
Hello all! I am the proud new owner of a 1979 ford f150. The truck has a straight six with three on the colum. So basically my straight six is dog tired and i was calling aroung to see what a new motor would run me, what i found out was a 302 would only be a few hundred more bucks than the straight six. What i really wanted to know is if i purchased a crate motor from Kragens of the same year could i bolt the new motor up to my old tranny. I really like my three on the colum and i know i would have to change the front suspension, radiator, and add new motor mounts. But does anyone one know if i will be able to keep my old tranny? Thx a bunch
The transmission and the bell housing will bolt up to the 302 just fine just make sure you have the spacer between the block and bell housing from the I6. it is what your starter locates off of.
 
Sure a better deal. V-8's are balanced better than a I-6, but you may get lower fuel mileage since your axle gears are for the I-6. You could look at swapping in a higher axle gear (or gear set if you have 4WD).
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top