1976 ford highboy, dana 44 hd problems

jake_262

New Member
I have a 76 ford 3/4 ton front dana 44HD with the five mounting hole spindle, I'm wondering if anyone out there knows if the five hole off of the 77 will mount in place of my 76. The reason I am trying to do this is so that I can put on the seperate rotor, and hub from the later years. I know that the 77 had shorter outer axles and a shorter spindle. Thanks
 
Ouch. I've got the same truck, but I just went to the 78 high pinion axle. I've got the same old rotors, and I think I'm still using the 76 spindle that you're talking about. I just had the wheel bearing go out 2 months ago and got really worried when I went looking for it. I couldn't find it anywhere. Anyway, i was able to find a machine shop that could actually clean it up. Sorry for the lack of any kind of real answer. Anyone know any good yards that actually have this stuff still?
 
thanks for the feedback, I got the answer I needed, and I now know that all the five hole spindles from 76-79 are interchangeable. I got the shorter spindles from broncograveyard.com, allready had the shorter outer axleshafts, and the hub and rotor from a doner 78-86 3/4 ton, I'm so happy ha,ha I can't beleive that you couldn't find the wheel bearings though, I can always find them at a local parts store, anyway if you ever have that problem again broncograveyard has it I know............I think anyway

Slomar said:
Ouch. I've got the same truck, but I just went to the 78 high pinion axle. I've got the same old rotors, and I think I'm still using the 76 spindle that you're talking about. I just had the wheel bearing go out 2 months ago and got really worried when I went looking for it. I couldn't find it anywhere. Anyway, i was able to find a machine shop that could actually clean it up. Sorry for the lack of any kind of real answer. Anyone know any good yards that actually have this stuff still?
[snapback]16479[/snapback]​
 
Well the bearings weren't too bad, Napa wanted freekin 40 bucks for the outer. The only problem I had was with trying to get a new spindle. The thing looked like it was toast... or dipped in liquid hot magma with liquid hot magma bearings... ok thats just stupid... I'll stop now.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top